Sunday, August 9, 2009

"10+" ReFirement and an International Sundance

It has been a long time since I wrote my first post. I am, in fact, intending to expand on ideas which I will cover in my Blog from what I originally intended. I have decided to expand the topics to include those involved in what I refer to as "10+". This phrase refers to the planning and undertakings that I will follow as I live (hopefully) the years between 2009 and 2019, being my ages of 65 and 75. What could be more oriented toward ultimate sustainability, which I raised in the context of economic progress in my original post, than this topic.

A number of years ago I learned of the phrase "Refirement" which describes a process by which those who are looking at retirement as a classic lifestyle choice will instead seek to discover passions or interests that can re-fire an interest in living and methods of living. I point out that the term "ReFirement" is copyrighted by The ReFirement Group. I first heard of the concept from Erica Whittlinger, who is the Managing Director of the Group, during our discussions on a variety of topics at the Beloit College Cluster Reunion for the classes of '68, '69 and '70 in October of 2004. Those who are interested in this topic should access The ReFirement Group Website to learn more about the concept and ways in which people can participate in strategy sessions to find direction.

In essence, and quoting from copyrighted materials, ReFirement is a "...new and positive vision of basing your life and work choices on your core values, your passions, a commitment to lifelong learning, an intentional commitment to all generations, and a willingness to use your legacy as a starting point for deciding how you want to live today."

These thoughts have taken on new significance for me because of the fact that 6 weeks ago - at the age of 64 - I lost my job at UW-Whitewater that I thought I would stay at for the next 7 or so years. The administration reorganized the development functions at the University, eliminated three positions - including mine as the Director of Advancement at the College of Education - and advised me that I was part of the first wave of reductions required to balance the anticipated $5.6 million two-year deficit.

So, what does this mean for me? Well, it means that I am chartering a new course of personal action for the next 10 years. Hopefully my life experiences to date will have prepared me for the changes that will be required. And part of this action will be to participate in the International Sundance 2009 in Montana that is being run by the World Council of Elders, a not-for-profit organization of which Woody Vaspra, Beloit College Class of '67 and my roommate on football trips way back then, is the President and Elder Liaison. The Sundance is very much about sustainability, respecting Mother Earth and finding a person's place in the world. How appropriate for me this August. It certainly does not represent a well worn path to take.

I decided several years ago, when Woody was back at Beloit College celebrating the 40th Reunion of the class of 1967, that I would enjoy participating in a Sundance. The first International Sundance was held in Montana in August of 2007. The second was held in Hawaii in the autumn of 2008. My interest in participating in this year's International Sundance 2009 - the 3rd - has been heightened by the fact that our youngest son Mitch is enrolled at Montana State University in Bozeman, he intends on becoming a permanent resident of Montana which means I see Montana in my future, and the fact that I see my participation in the International Sundance as a part of the planning for the my next 10 years.

Future International Sundances are scheduled to be held in South Australia in 2010, Montana in 2011 and Guatemala in 2012.

I will be adding a post to my blog in the future that will describe what was involved in camping for 12 nights on a 3,000 buffalo ranch on the Crow Reservation south of Billings, Montana at the end of August. I will keep a daily log and, following my return to Wisconsin, describe the event in detail, and share it with friends and colleagues.

R.

No comments: